Study Abroad Office
Institute of Social Sciences
Due to the current prevention measures in the context of the Corona Pandemic, consultations are only available by email or telephone
Phone: +49 541 969 4381
Service hours: Monday-Tuesday 9:00-12:00 and 14:00 -15:30, Wednesday 14-15:30, Thursday 09:00-12:00 (and by appointment)
Departmental Coordinator for International Affairs
Exchange and Erasmus Students
The Institute for Social Sciences holds a wide range of international partnerships all over the world and in Europe in the context of the Erasmus program. Bachelor and master students from our partner universities can study at Osnabrück University for one or two semesters within our regular study programs and obtain ECTS points (no degrees will be awarded to exchange students). To come to Osnabrück University please follow the application procedure for exchange and Erasmus students.
Nomination and Application procedure
- First, students need to apply for studying abroad at their home university.
- Before students can directly apply to Osnabrück University they need to be officially nominated by their home university. The international coordinator should send the nomination using the nomination form via email to our International Office to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure to send the nomination well before the application deadline.
- Nomination Deadline for Partner Universities: 1st April to 15th June for following winter semester, 1st October to 15th December for following summer semester.
- After the nomination information has been send, exchange and Erasmus students need to complete the online application and send the supporting documents by post.
- Application deadlines for students: 1st July for the following winter semester (beginning in October), 1st January for the following summer semester (beginning in April).
- Spring Semester 2022
Start of the Semester: 1st April 2022
Welcome Period for International Students: 28th March - 1st April 2022
End of Lectures: 9th July 2022
End of the Semester: 31st September 2022
Start of Lectures: 4th April 2022
- Autumn Semester 2022/23
Start of the Semester: 1st October 2022
Welcome Period for International Students: t.b.a.
Freshman Week for Degree Seeking Students: 17th – 22nd October 2022
Start of Lectures: 24th October 2022
Christmas Holidays: 24th December 2022 – 7th January 2023
End of Lectures: 11th February 2023
End of the Semester: 31st March 2023
- There is no need to include proof of German language proficiency in the nomination or application, but our partner universities are supposed to select students who meet the required level (German B2). For courses in English the required level is English B2.
- The main language of instruction at Osnabrück University is German, especially in bachelor programs. However, there is a small number of courses in English offered each semester.
- Exchange and Erasmus students can enroll in all courses on their level of study (bachelor or master) at our Institute of Social Sciences (other departments may have different policies and restrictions about course choices). Students who come through a cooperation in the field of social sciences/sociology/political sciences/international relations/european studies/migration studies are expected to take the majority of coureses at the Institute for Social Sciences. Depending on the student’s background and subject at the home university it is possible to also take some courses from other departments and institutes. However, places in coureses from other departments can only be guaranteed on the basis of a signed Learning Agreement.
- Course List Institute of Social Sciences_Autumn Semester 2021/22
- Course List Institute of Social Sciences Spring Semester 2022
- Courses in English by Subject Area
- A course catalogue including all courses and study programs at Osnabrück University can be downloaded here ("Veranstaltungsverzeichnis")
- Study Programs and Curricula at the Institute for Social Sciences
Learning Agreement and Course Enrolment
- Students will enroll in courses through our online course registration system (stud.ip) after arrival during the Welcome Week.
- To ensure the enrolment for courses with limited capacities it is highly recommended to send a Learning Agreement well in advance before the start of the semester to the Study Abroad Office at the Institute of Social Sciences (Mareike Tudor, email@example.com). The course selection can still be modified at the beginning of the study at Osnabrück.
- For all students in the framework of the ERASMUS program we would prefer to conclude the new Online Learning Agreement (OLA). Students can fill in all information through the webpage and have it signed digitally by all parties. Please put the follwoing data as responsible person for signature at the receiving institution: Mareike Tudor, Institute of Social Sciences, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pre-sessional German language course (for international students and exchange students, fee-based)
- During each semester our language center offers a wide range of free German language courses on different levels. There will be a placement test at the beginning of the semester.
- For more informationen please visit the webpage of our Language Center.
- Exchange students from partner universities can apply for accommodation in the student dorms operated by Studentenwerk Osnabrück (Student Services) through the International Office.
Services for International Students
- Our service sites offer information about visa and entry requirements and your arrival in Osnabrück. You can also find information about accommodation and insurance. And last but not least check out our tips for culture and leisure activities!